Advisory Board Bylaws
Student Centers and Activities is the center of the Hokie community for students, faculty, staff, alumni, and visitors to Virginia Tech. Student Centers and Activities provides environments where students and others can spend time learning and socializing, becoming a part of the campus community through programs and activities in its four facilities: Squires Student Center, Johnston Student Center, the Graduate Life Center and War Memorial Chapel. Student Centers and Activities contributes to the educational mission of Virginia Tech by providing opportunities and encouraging participation in educational, cultural, social and recreational programs, and leisure activities. Student Centers and Activities helps promote the success of events and activities led by campus student organizations and provides a variety of services for the campus community.
Student Centers and Activities is an auxiliary unit within the Division of Student Affairs at Virginia Tech. Student Centers and Activities receives no state appropriated funds and is entirely dependent upon student fee income and revenue produced from various services and programs. Responsibility to administer the programs, services, and facilities of Student Centers and Activities have been delegated to the Director of Student Centers and Activities, who is assisted by administrative and service staff personnel.
In the fulfillment of administrative responsibilities, including the determination of operating policies and procedures, the opinions and guidance of interested and affected members of the campus community, particularly students, should be taken seriously into account. Student Centers and Activities has a strong commitment to this principle by fostering mechanisms through which full time professional seek the advice and input of students, faculty and staff.
Compatible with this practice, this document will provide for a Student Centers and Activities Advisory Board, acting in an advisory capacity to the Director of the Student Centers and Activities and associated staff, and shall concern itself with review, assessment, and recommendations pertaining to Student Centers and Activities programs, services, facilities, and long–range planning.
Article I NAME
The name of this body shall be the VT Student Centers and Activities Advisory Board (herein referred to as the Board).
Article II PURPOSE
The purposes of this body shall be:
- To ensure that the Student Centers and Activities serve as the center of Hokie community.
- To create a partnership of students, faculty and staff to serve in an advisory role on all issues related to the Student Centers and War Memorial Chapel, including recommending, reviewing and evaluating policies, services, programs and facilities.
- To solicit and evaluate input from all members of the University community.
- To take an active role in the vision and mission of the VT Student Centers and Activities.
- To serve as ambassadors for Student Centers and Activities’ programs, facilities and services.
Article III MEMBERSHIP
Section A – Members
The membership of this body shall consist of:
- One undergraduate student appointed by the President of the Student Government Association;
- One graduate student appointed by the President of the Graduate Student Assembly;
- Two students from different recognized student organizations appointed by the Student Government Speaker of the House;
- One student appointed by the Virginia Tech Union Director;
- One student appointed by the Black Student Alliance Director;
- Two student employees appointed by the Student Centers and Activities Director;
- One student appointed by the EMCVT, Inc. President;
- One Division of Student Affairs faculty or staff member appointed by the Assistant VP for Student Affairs;
- One member representing the tenants of Student Centers and Activities facilities appointed by the Associate Director of Student Centers and Activities;
- Two Student Centers and Activities faculty, staff or 1500 hour members appointed by the Student Centers and Activities Director;
- One student or faculty/staff member appointed by the Director of the Cranwell International Center;
- One student or faculty/staff member appointed by the Director of Multicultural Programs and Services;
- One community member appointed by the Town and Gown Committee;
- The two Associate Directors for Student Centers and Activities, ex officio, without vote;
- The Director of Student Centers and Activities, ex officio, without vote; Chair
Unless explicitly stated otherwise, all are voting members.
Section B – Terms of Office
- All Board members shall each serve a one–year term; but shall not be precluded from reappointment for future one–year terms. Faculty and staff members are limited to two consecutive terms.
- It is expected that each member will attend all regular meetings and participate actively in committees of the Board. Any absences without prior notice may call for review of continued membership by the Board.
- All new Board members shall take office at the first meeting following their selection and shall serve for the remainder of the academic year.
Article IV OFFICERS
Section A – Enumeration
The officers of the Board shall be Chairperson, Vice Chairperson and the Executive Secretary.
Section B – Methods of Selection
- The Director of Student Centers and Activities (or designee) shall serve as Chairperson.
- The Vice Chairperson and Special Committee Chairs shall be elected by ballot by a simple majority vote of Board members present and voting.
- The Vice Chairperson and other chairs for special committees shall be elected as required throughout the academic year.
- The Vice Chairperson cannot serve as a Special Committee Chair.
- The Executive Secretary shall be a staff member appointed by the Director of Student Centers and Activities.
Section C – Terms of Office
The Vice Chairperson member shall serve a one–year term, but shall not be precluded from reelection to future one–year terms. If a Special Committee spans more than one academic year, the chair shall not be precluded from reelection to fulfill the mission of the Special Committee.
Section D – Duties
- The Chairperson shall develop goals and meeting agendas; chair regular and special meetings of the Board and represent the Board on matters of public interest.
- The Vice Chairperson shall serve in the place of the Chairperson when he/she is unable to fulfill his/her duties due to absence from scheduled meetings or conflicts of interest and will coordinate the work of Special Committees that may be appointed.
- The Executive Secretary shall give due notice of all meetings of the Board, assist with logistics related to meetings and other Board activities, and maintain suitable records of all meetings and other actions of the Board.
Article V MEETINGS
Section A – Meetings
The Board shall meet on a regular schedule as determined by the Directors of Student Centers and Activities. In general, a welcome meeting should be held in the fall semester and standing meetings should be held two times during the fall and spring semesters. The schedule will be set prior to appointments and selections to ensure all applicants can be available for meetings.
Section B – Purpose of Meetings
- Receive updates regarding departmental programs, services, initiatives and future plans that will directly impact the members and their constituents. (Exec -> Board)
- Dialogue between the Student Centers and Activities Executive Team and the Board regarding potential future programs, services and initiatives of the department. (Exec <-> Board)
- Provides feedback to the units of the department regarding programs, policies, procedures and other related topics. (Board -> Student Centers and Activities units)
- Serve as work group time linked to feedback needs of the department.
Section C – Special Meetings
- Special meetings of the Board may be called by the Chairperson.
- The only item or items permitted on the agenda of a special meeting shall be those for which the special meeting was specifically called.
Section D – Quorum
A simple majority of the voting members of the Board shall constitute a quorum necessary to conduct constitutional business at a regular meeting or to hold a special meeting, except as otherwise provided for herein.
Section E – Open Meetings
It shall be the general policy of the Board to keep all meetings open to the press and public.
Section F – Special Committees
With the advice and consent of the Board, the Chairperson of the Board may establish special committees of the Board to perform such duties as t
- October 18 - 3:30-5:00 p.m. in Norfolk Room
- November 15 - 3:30-5 p.m. in Room 219
- January 24 - 3:30-5 p.m. in GLC Multipurpose Room
- March 21 - 3:30-5 p.m. in Brush Mountain B