Advertising on Campus
All advertising must be in good taste, appropriate for its intended purpose and must not create litter or disruption. The name of the sponsoring organization, event name, date, time, and location must be included. If a foreign language is used, an English translation must be provided. An unaffiliated entity may only appear on posted literature if they are co-sponsoring or supporting a campus activity, event, or student organization. The co-sponsor’s name may be listed so long as the primary university sponsor is also listed.
Promoting the sale or consumption of alcohol on campus or in university publications is prohibited.
No posting of any kind is permitted on doors, walls, windows, fences, directional/informational signs, lampposts, light poles, barricades, trees or academic classrooms. No fliers or advertisements are to be distributed under hall doors or via door-to-door handouts. Advertisements cannot be placed on the windshields of vehicles residence parked on university-owned or leased property.
Marking on walkways, roadways, or other structures on campus with chalk, paint, or any other material is not allowed. Flier distribution is only permitted in reserved locations. For more information please refer to the Public Space Guidelines.
Failure to comply with these policies may subject the responsible organization or individuals to fines for property damage or cleanup costs. Student organizations may have reservation privileges revoked if these regulations are violated. See our flyer for more information.
Campus Advertising Avenues
- A-Frames: A-Frame advertisements can be placed in various locations around campus. Reservations are made for one to two weeks and may consist of up to two locations. For more information, please see the A-Frame Reservation Guidelines or visit the Event Planning Office to make a reservation.
- Banners: Banners can be hung on select buildings around campus. Each banner location has specific regulations. Reservations are made for one to two weeks and may consist of up to two locations. For more information, please see the Banner Reservation Guidelines or visit the Event Planning Office to make a reservation.
- Bulletin Boards: Flyers to be posted on bulletin boards in Squires Student Center must be approved by the information desk attendant in Squires. The Squires Information Desk does not approve flyers for anywhere else on campus. For information on bulletin boards in other locations, please consult with the Event Planning Office.
- Display Cases: 15 display cases can be found in Squires Student Center. Reservations can be made from Tuesday through Monday for up to two weeks. For more information, please see the Display Case Guidelines or visit the Event Planning Office to make a reservation.
- Collegiate Times, VTTV, WUVT: Different sized ads can be submitted to the Collegiate Times. The Virginia Tech television station also offers advertising in the form of slides from midnight until noon every weekday and all day and night on the weekends. The radio station by Virginia Tech WUVT, offers opportunities to sponsor a broadcast as well as pay to run advertisements. For more information, please see the campus advertising site, College Media Solutions.
- Distribution of Literature and Publicity: There are various high traffic public areas on campus that may be reserved through the public space process. Any distribution of materials must take place in a reserved location requested at least ten days in advance. For more information, please see the Public Space Guidelines or visit the Event Planning Office to make a reservation.
- Gobbler Connect Create an event page in Gobbler Connect on your organization profile by clicking on the Events tab on the left sidebar and selecting Create Event in the right corner. After you successfully create your event, it will be posted on the Gobbler Connect homepage bulletin board.
- Johnston Student Center PowerPoint: This allows student groups to make a power point to advertise their events on campus. Submit a PowerPoint.
- Information Booths: There are two information booths located in Squires Student Center that can be reserved to distribute information or conduct fundraisers. Bake sales are not permitted in Information Booth A. Visit the Event Planning Office to make a reservation.
- Pinterest: Student organizations can post any upcoming event flyers on our Student Events Pinterest Board. Students who frequently plan events can follow the board and be added as a pinner. Students can also submit their flyer via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and it will be added to the Pinterest board along with a link to your event page on Facebook or Gobbler Connect.
- Table Cards (Dining Centers): Registered Student Organization and University Departments can request permission to place table cards in dining centers.
- Virginia Tech Event Calendar: The VT Event calendar is available to university departments and student organizations. For more information on the event calendar, please email email@example.com.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, national origin, religion, or political affiliation. Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity.
221 Squires Student Center (0138)
Blacksburg, VA 24061